SPANISH serrano HAM AND THE mediterrAneaN DIET
The spanish serrano ham is very rich in minerals (iron and zinc), phospshoros, potassium, sodium, calcium, proteins and vitamins. It carries unsaturated fat, such as oleic acid - so it has similar properties as the olive oil, an essencial element within the mediterranean diet. The spanish serrano ham from Teruel is a very advisable aliment to consume when being on a correct diet, like the Mediterranean diet. The serrano ham from Teruel is being considered as one of the healthiest aliments within the Medieterranean diet. 100 grs. of serrano ham represent 24% of the daily consumption of the B vitamins, 30% of the proteins (which are essencial for growing up, apart from bringing all the essencial amino acids which the organism cannot syntethize); so, considering all these, we can say, with no doubt, that spanish serrano ham collaborates on the correct functioning of the human metabolism.
On the other side, when people that the serrano ham presents a quite high fat and salt content they are not right, because this aliment is 65 % water, it has a very low energy value, which makes it quite appropiate for the hipocaloric diets. Although we should not abuse of eating serrano ham, on the contrary, we must follow a stable, balanced and varied diet, such as the Mediterranean diet.
The spanish serrano ham has got a high alimentary value, carrying a lot of the nutrients needed for the daily feeding
The Mediterranean diet consists in some alimentary habits using the traditional ingredients within the Mediterranean regions, which sometimes are grown with the help of the new technologies (for example, the biological farming). The Mediterranean diet should be balanced, complete, without eliminating none of its nutrients. It is basically formed of aliments produced by means the traditional farming (just like wheat, olive or vine).
One might say that the Mediterranean diet comes from the ancient Rome; during all these years, it has been spreading all over the Mediterranean area. In those times they began to use the flour, the bread and the olive oil, as well as some other products they were gathering in Mother Nature. People already practiced the slaughter of the swines, and there were some special cooks, called "vicarius supra cenas" who performed it. The most appreciated part of the pigs was the serrano ham but this could only be eaten by the richest inhabitants.
Some of the most used nutrients within the Mediterranean diet are:
- Olive oil: one can say it
is the main element of the Mediterranean cooking, it brings us vitamins
and antioxidants, and it also represents a fat source. The type of fat
that contains most is the oleic acid, which is very beneficial for the
- Fruits: bring us a large quantity of vitamins, fibers, water and minerals, as well as fruits are very low energy content. Any diet must have fruits if we want a healthy, stable and balanced diet.
- Greens and vegetables: contain a high quantity of fibers, vitamins, minerals as well as carbohydrates, and they almost completely lack proteins and fats.
This plate full of spanish serrano ham y vegetables would give us a correct quantity of proteins and vitamins
- Nuts and dried fruits: they are very rich in fats, and they also contain minerals and fibers. They practicall lack water. Their edible part is the seed. It is a nutrient with a high nutricional content.
- Eggs: carry all the amino acids needed for living. They also have got a lot of minerals and vitamins, while present a low energy value.
- Dairy: they contain proteins and minerals, and if they are consumed as yoghurts, the human body can also benefit from the alive microrganisms.
- Vegetables: each vegetable contains a certain amount of nutrients, in different proportions. They are a very well balanced food. They use to carry carbohydrats, fibers, proteins, minerals and vitamins. They also have a very low fate content.
- Bread: is a food that comes from fermentantion of the flour with yeast, salt and water. Within the Mediterranean diet the bread is a very important food. The vitaminic contribution may vary according to the used components. Although we can say, in a generic way, that bread contains carbohydrats, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Pasta also could be considered a nutrient with carbohydrats.
- Fish: what fish most bring are the proteins, almost reaching the same level of the meat. The fish fat has a quite high energy value.
A plate with serrano ham and a fruit (for example, melon), a piece of bread and a glass of wine, could be part of a healthy Mediterranean diet