Techniques used in the cultivation of olives Tecnicas de cultivo de olivas

CULTIVATION TECHNIQUES

 
 

The cultivation of olive groves is characterized by its great diversity, this does not refer so much to the variety of olives but to what we can find together with fully-planted plantations, terraced plantations and intercropping etc, whatever influences the different capacities of production and output of olive oil, problems with the 'vecería' or alternation in the harvest, state and condition of crops. 

   

Harvesting olives

Harvesting of olives in Castelserás.

 

The types of cultivation that can be found in this region differ in the three zones, each has characteristics of their own:

Zone of Alcañiz and the surrounding villages: In general it is fully planted (10 x 10 m.). The highest yields of olives per hectare are obtained in these fields. Their oils are of high quality and fineness.

 
Zone of Calaceite-Valderrobres: Matarraña presents a land that is difficult to work with, therefore they use terraced olive groves and the fully-planted plantations are associated more with almonds. Yields are lower than those of the Alcañiz zone, usually due to low plant density (50 or 60 trees per hectare), however the oil quality is high.
 
Zone of Castellote moving into the Serrania de Montalbán: This area approaches the ecological limits suitable for olive cultivation (with altitudes between 600 and 900 metres above sea level). Plantations are made in patches or on hillsides with steep slopes. Besides the general variety (Empeltre), a few feet of the variety 'Negral' also appear. In the borough of Alloza is the unique variety of 'Royal de Calatayud'. Their quality is lower than other areas, due to mixing of different olive varieties used in its preparation. Approximately 95% of the olive groves in Teruel are rainfed, the remaining 5% are grown under irrigation, these plantations are composed of varieties Manzanilla and Sevillana Gordal which are used as table olives and although the crop has an annual increase of 20 ha, the impact on the sector is still small.

 Source: www.aceitedeoliva.com

 
  

HOME PAGE

 

C/ Maestro Rebullida, 20
44640 – Torrecilla de Alcañiz
Teruel      España
Telf: 34 978 85 24 15
Fax:  978 85 27 00

informacion@sabor-artesano.com

 
 

Recommend this site to a friend